Top Tips when Planning Your Meals
- When having new potatoes don’t smother them in butter. These are just empty calories. If you need something try a teaspoon of low-fat mayonnaise.
- With all vegetables, don’t forget that you don’t just need to boil them to cook them – you can always steam them. This helps retain more nutrients which will benefit you more.
- When making or buying sauces, tomato-based sauces are lower in calories than cream-based ones.
- If having a cream-based sauce always ensure you buy the low-fat option (you really can’t taste the difference), or if making this yourself, try using low-fat crème fraiche instead of cream
- Try and add colour to your meal using different vegetables – the more vibrant and colourful your plate looks, the more appetising your meal!